5 Life changing benefits of Acupuncture Treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Dr Sinha Acupuncture Research Centre has an exemplary record of successfully helping patients with ankylosing spondylitis and other problems associated with HLA-B27 positive cases. These cases range from a young school going 12 year old to 68 year old grandfather.
We use micro current electro acupuncture, moxibution, cupping and auriculo-acupuncture to help patients with ankylosing spondylitis .
Acupuncture has traditionally been successfully employed in China to treat most illnesses. There is little doubt that acupuncture is an excellent therapy for people suffering with this condition as it works through the nervous system and energy channels in the body. Treatment has been shown to cause
- the brain to release endorphines and encephalins (natural pain killers),
- boost the immune system and
- calm the nervous system,
- acupuncture also relaxes muscles thereby providing relief.
- Helps to arrest progression of disease.
There are several studies suggesting that acupuncture can be very helpful in the treatment of arthritis and more specifically Ankylosing Spondylitis. For instance, a recent study in Russia (1) found that 73% of patients suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis benefited from acupuncture treatment. When acupuncture was combined with UV light treatment the response rate increased to 93%.
In another study, 54 Rheumatoid Arthritis sufferers were given acupuncture (warm needling) with Zhuifengsu (Chinese herb)
A study of auriculo-electropuncture (AEP) – treatment of points on the ear – by a double blind method was conducted in Russia with 16 arthritis patients. Not only did they all feel better as a result of the treatment but they all showed “statistically significant” improvement in blood samples. (3)
Traditional acupuncturists treat the whole person rather than a disease and therefore attempt to get to the root cause of the problem rather than treating the symptoms and, like other holistic practitioners, will consider all lifestyle and environmental factors before commencing treatment. Controlled medical tudies indicate that acupuncture is an appropriate therapy to adopt in holistic treatment of Ankylosing Spondylitis.
(1) [The combined use of acupuncture and UV irradiation in treating the neurological manifestations of lumbar osteochondrosis] Sochetannoe primenenie akupunktury i oblucheniia UF-luchami v lechenii nevrologicheskikh proiavlenii poiasnichnogo osteokhondroza. Tsarev IuK; Troshina ED Vopr Kurortol Fizioter Lech Fiz Kult (USSR) May-Jun 1991, (3) p25-9,
(2) Effect of acupuncture and point-injection treatment on immunologic function in rheumatoid arthritis. Liu X; Sun L; Xiao J; Yin S; Liu C; Li Q; Li H; Jin B General Hospital of PLA, Beijing. J Tradit Chin Med (CHINA) Sep 1993, 13 (3) p174-8
(3) [Auriculo-electropuncture in rheumatoid arthritis (a double-blind study)] Aurikuloelektropunktura pri revmatoidnom artrite (dvoinoe slepoe ispytanie). Ruchkin IN; Burdeinyi AP Ter Arkh 1987, 59 (12) p26-30
Acupuncture for Ankylosing Spondylitis
Dr Sinha Medical Acupuncture in Delhi India is using Acupuncture treatment for Ankylosing Spondylitis for over 40 years with excellent results. It is a progressive disorder. Its progression can be significantly delayed with the help of medical Acupuncture, it may present as back pain or neck pain and stiffness. AS is considered to involve bones, joints and eyes (uveitis) but most of the symptoms are because of muscle stiffness. These are commonly ignored during course of conventional treatment.
Medical Acupuncture helps in Ankylosing Spondylitis by
Helping the patient’s immune system,
Helping the muscles relax thus preventing scoliosis
Increase blood supply to enhance healing process
Enhances sensory nerves to increase body response to pathological damages
Most of the AS cases are associated with HLA-B27 positive gene. The commonest presentation is pain and stiffness in spine starting from neck down to sacrum. With passage of time the spinal bones (vertebra) start fusing resulting in loss of movement and abnormal curvature of spine e.g. Scoliosis (sideward bending) u0026amp; Kyphosis (forward hunching). Sacroilitis is also commonly associated with AS.